Tuesday 24 November 2009

My version of the hockey stick

I present to you my own version of the Hockey Stick, made famous by Michael Mann. Can you guess what it represents?

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I'll admit that I have cheated here and hidden the data at the end of the series to "hide the decline".

This is a graph of the grants provided to the CRU from 1991 to the present, in UK pounds. You can find the original figures here.

In the interests of openeness, this is what I did:

  1. I took each grant, and calculated how many months it ran for
  2. I then divided the total grant by the number of months, giving an average "income" from that grant per month over the life of the grant
  3. I then summed up the total income per month from all the grants and plotted it, fiddling with the trendline until it produced a hockey stick. I had to use a 6 order polynomial to get a hockey stick - if you use anything less than that, a hockey stick fails to appear
  4. I then pulled a "trick" to eliminate the data after August 2004, as the budget went into a sad decline

3 comments:

alethiophile said...

Hah. Nice.

Minicapt said...

I think the first graph is a sketch of Nessie.

Cheers

Anonymous said...

That's hysterical.I mean ROFLMAO oops.