Sunday 22 February 2009

How fast am I going now?

Frankly, I have no idea. I went for a ride today, and the first thing I noticed was that the battery in the bike computer had gone flat. Yes, everything about my bike is green and sustainable and tree-huggable: apart from the battery in my computer that tells me my speed, distance travelled, cadence and the temperature of the air that I am speeding through.

And the battery that powers my immensely powerful headlight - so bright I have been mistaken for a motorbike. Charging that thing requires several truckloads of brown coal.

And the battery in my tail light. Make that "batteries".

And the battery in my spare headlight - just in case the main one goes flat (as it does when you are halfway home on a pitch-dark night).

And the battery in my spare tail light, which I have since I am slightly paranoid about being collected from the rear by a driver who tells you, as you are lying on the ground, "Sorry mate, didn't see you there".

Yes, my bike is so green. Kind of. Not really. Not.

It's clean though. I just gave it the quarterly de-grease and wash, which means I can now tell what colour it is, and the chain is no longer making horrible grinding noises. Although the front shifter is still jammed with grit and refuses to change gears properly. The only way to get out of top gear is to detatch my shoe from the cleat and then whack the gear changing thing sideways with my toe. That's not how it is supposed to work.

No comments: