Saturday 24 January 2009

From tarragon to toast

No, this is not a dope plant. This is the start of a tarragon hedge. I found to my cost last year that there are two main types of tarragon - French and Russian (I think) and one is lovely and edible and the other is completely yuck. The first variety that I planted was of course the one that was absolutely dreadful.


As I said last night, my intention tonight was to make a tomato salad using a yard of tarragon. Note the tape measure on the benchtop - it is set to 100cm, or about a yard. [As an aside, the ammo belts in WWII fighters were nine yards long, hence the saying "going the whole nine yards", which meant filling a Jerry full of lead].


The end result. Oil and toast some slices of sourdough, spoon over the top and enjoy immensely. The pommegranate in the background is for my next adventure in salads.


Burrrp!

No comments: