Thursday 19 June 2008

Should I worry about state surveillance?

I don't get worried when the Police or ASIO or some obscure intelligence agency demands more power to snoop into our lives.

I don't worry because the same cretins that are running our health and education systems, and who are responsible for our crappy roads and empty dams and useless welfare system are also responsible for the Police and intelligence agencies.

If our state and federal governments had public servants that were halfway capable, I'd start to worry. But I have worked in the Belly of the Beast, and I know what a cauldron of crap they really are. Terms like "couldn't organise a pissup in a brewery" come to mind.

When you see a bumbling public servant in action, you aren't seeing some well meaning, kind hearted, knowledgeable and hard working person having a bad day. You are watching an incompetent, brainless, couldn't-give-a-fuck, wouldn't-work-in-an-iron-lung retard performing business as usual. Some of the people that I worked with in government were so dense, they'd have trouble working out the instructions on how to open a jar of Vegemite.

I do not see them as a threat to me liberty.

It doesn't mean that I don't like ever more restrictive laws and more intense surveillance - I just don't fear our bumblers. They're not clever enough to be a threat.

No comments: