Wednesday 21 November 2007

World's worst drivers

I caught a taxi home tonight. No, this is not a story about a terrible taxi driver, although I have had plenty of them in my time. I had a very competent driver for once, which was nice.

We were driving onto the ANZAC bridge when I heard a car screaming up beside us in the next lane. We were doing 80, and it was clearly in 2nd gear. The driver was revving the ring out of it. I couldn't see all the car at first - just part of the bonnet - as there was a car in the lane next to us. What I could see was an old Commodore with a mangled front bumper and a dented side panel. The car was dropping back and then surging forward to almost rear end the car next to us. The driver was clearly an idiot without a clue.

My taxi driver shook his head and muttered something about poor driving. I mentioned that it looked like the driver didn't know how to change gears.

Then the car beside use changed lanes and the idiot-mobile came fully into view. Every panel dented. An absolute bomb.

Being driven by what looked like a suspicously 14 year old Aboriginal male, with several other pre-teens in the passenger seats. No seat belts in evidence. Just three yahoo-ing young males in a car on a busy road.

I hate to write this and say "stereotype", so I won't. All I will write is what I saw.

I saw no other idiot driving on the bridge tonight. No other idiot driving on the way home, which is unusual as the young stud-wogs usually like to drag race their wogged-up rice burners around the City West Link. Just a couple of blackfellas driving like utter numbnuts.

My taxi driver got an eyefull of them and moved us into another lane to put as much distance between us as possible. And he was Asian.

No comments: