Tuesday 6 November 2007

Useless order management systems

After visiting the quack this morning, I decided to try out a cafe/bakery on Victoria Road in Drummoyne. There are a few cafes along that particular strip, and I chose this one because it makes fancy, expensive artisan bread. I figured that if they can make good bread, they can probably do a good feed and coffee.

I was about to sit down when I noticed that it was one of those order and pay at the counter and get a number places. So I placed my order for scrambled eggs, got my number and found a seat.

About 2 minutes later, a waitress whizzed past and deposited a coffee and a roll stuffed with stuff on my table. I had ordered the coffee, but I was not sure what was in the roll. Having never eaten there before, I thought they might have a chef that produced fancy scrambled eggs by putting them in a roll with some green stuff.

So I took a bite.

It was not scrambled eggs. It was chicken with what tasted like coriander and spinach. It was quite delicious, so I ate half of it.

Then the chef came out of the kitchen with a plate of scrambled eggs and started walking around the cafe going "Scrambled eggs, scrambled eggs - who ordered scrambled eggs?"

Thankfully, my phone rang at that point and I was able to avoid the chef by talking seriously into my phone and studying my newspaper.

But the call finished too soon! The chef then eyeballed me, pointed to the eggs and I had to admit they were mine. Questions were then raised about the half a chicken roll left on my table, but I managed to sidetrack them and took the eggs.

They were delicious too. Bright yellow (almost orange) eggs atop some of their home made toast. There were no herbs, no other stuff to mess with the eggs. Just salt and pepper and really well made scrambled eggs.

Gotta love a place that can make really good scrambled eggs.

Got no idea what it was called though. And I am not impressed with an order management system that fails to get the right food to the right table. But it did allow me to sample two items from their menu for the price of one, and both were good, so I am going back.

Coffee was very good to. Must remember to get a business card next time. And take a newspaper. They don't have anything to read.

No comments: