Friday 23 November 2007

Raw meat

I should mention that I went to a Korean restaurant for lunch today. It's not something that I have done a lot of before. Japanese - yes. Almost daily. Korean - once in a blue moon.

There were a few of us, and we were tempted to do the Korean BBQ thing, but couldn't figure out what to order and how to cook it, so we went with hot pots instead.

Except that I went for the raw meat option. I thought I would get a bowl of raw meat and vegetables, and then maybe some hot broth to cook it in.

Nope. I got some raw meat and some vegetables. And a spoon.

It was the Korean version of Steak Tartare.

Fortunately, I just love steak tartare. Except that I can never find anyone that serves it. The Korean version was not that flash. Essentially it was chopped up steak with chilli sauce. I like the steak tartare with raw egg and salt and capers and all the other yummy things that go into it.

Still, nothing stopped me from eating it. My companions probably thought that I was a bit wierd, but I learned something about Korean cuisine and Korean restaurants.

We're going to go back. The food was interesting and they had a "bottomless" supply of condiments. The tiny dried fish were good, as was the kim-chi.

Amazingly enough, I am not farting like a goat. I thought that a diet of kim-chi, chilli and raw meat would have me guffing like a distended cow, but all is quiet on the aflatus front.

No comments: