Monday 19 November 2007

Moisturiser is bad for you

I walk around bare foot as often as possible, so I have reasonably tough feet. The flipside though is that they are ugly. Callouses and rough bits abound from top to bottom. J took one look at them a while back and recommended that I start rubbing moisturiser into them.

I finally got around to taking her advice and the results were bizarre. My foot skin (not fore skin) started flaking or peeling off in great rubbery sheets. Everywhere I went, I was trailed by blobs of epidermis. My feet now look like I've contracted leprosy.

I figure that what's happened is that the thick layer of completely dried out leather on the surface has gone rotten at the first sign of moisture. It doesn't know what to do with a bit of moisture, so it hits the eject button and decides to depart from the rest of my skin.

Next thing you know, I'll be sitting in the shower with one of those pummice things scraping off layers of skin. Either that, or a cheese grater.

This did happen to me once before - many years ago. I spent the entire summer barefoot, and had a sole thicker than most shoes. Come winter, I started wearing socks and shoes again and lo and behold, one day the entire sole peeled off in a single continuous slab of sloughed off skin. It looked like one of those odour eater things you put into your shoes. Very wierd. I think I am getting the same thing now, only in slow motion.

Men just shouldn't moisturise their feet. It's unnatural.

No comments: