Monday 5 November 2007

Are 4WD's really unsuitable in cities?

I keep on hearing that 4WDs are unsuitable for use in our cities.

Why?

Because the idiots who say things like that are simply parroting what green squidbrains are saying in Europe. Large vehicles of any kind are inappropriate in the centres of old cities and towns in Europe. They're also inappropriate in a lot of country lanes in some European countries. It's amazing how narrow those old lanes with the stone walls down the sides can be.

How many streets in Sydney are so narrow that a 4WD would be a problem? Maybe a few in the oldest suburbs near the CBD, but the rest of Sydney is fitted out with roads that can handle a semi-trailer. About the only place I don't want to take the Disco is some of the narrow streets around Padington, and if I am going there, I am probably going to a pub, so I'll take a taxi anyway.

In short, another case of dimwits hearing that something does or does not work overseas, and instantly applying that to our situation here. I hate that.

No comments: