Saturday 20 October 2007

The worst sashimi

I am a fan of Japanese food for lunch, and I'm doing well at the moment because the new office is smack in the middle of the largest concentration of Japanese and Korean restaurants in the CBD. None of them are particularly good - I think they are the sort that cater to Japanese backpackers rather than squillionaire businesspeople, but at least I can walk in any direction from the office and find raw fish within 100 yards.

Although I've only been in this office for a short time, I've already found a favourite place to eat. It does a good lunch box for $15 and they certainly don't skimp on the food. It's not the best lunchbox that I've ever had, but it generally passes the test.

Except for the other day. One corner of the lunchbox is the sashimi section, and they usually include just salmon for sashimi. I prefer a mix of a couple of fish, but I'm not complaining at that price. But I should have complained the other day - the sashimi was just awful. I don't know what cut of the salmon they were using, but it must have been the cut that is usually used to make shoe soles or car tyres. It was tough, sinewy and just terrible. For the first time in my life, I actually failed to finish my portion of sashimi. If I owned a cat, I wouldn't have stooped to taking it home and inflicting it on an innocent cat. The only thing I could think of doing with it was taking it home and then sneaking down to the house of the neighbour that dumps shopping trolleys on our doorstep and then glueing it to the inside of their letter box. They'd be wondering for weeks why the letter box stunk of terrible fish.

But even I am not that much of a bastard.

No comments: