Wednesday 31 October 2007

Here's Bob!

I was standing in the local butcher shop last week, chatting with the butcher about sausages when he looked out the window and went, "Hey, that's Bob Hawke over there".

Sure enough, Bob was across the road preparing to walk into the campaign office of John Murphy, our local sitting MP. Bob was officially kicking off his campaign. I know all this because it is in our local paper today. I did not find this out by walking across the road and asking what was going on, because I did not want to end up having my hand shaken by Bob Hawke. I get the feeling it would be like being fondled by an elderly relative who had been on the whiskey all day. Ugh.

I bought my sausages and split. There was little chance of Bob looking across the road and seeing me and wanting to bolt across to press the flesh, but I prepared to do a runner if necessary. I didn't have to worry - I think he was wearing brothel creepers, so he would have had a hard time keeping up with me.

On another star spotting note, I passed Ian Chappel in the street today - right outside the courthouse in town. Hope he wasn't coming out of there after being charged with something.

He's shorter than I expected.

No comments: