Thursday 25 October 2007

The great vanilla slice hunt continues

After visiting the quack today, I ducked (or hobbled painfully) next door to a bakery to try out their vanilla slice. I have tried to stick a photo of it into this post, but I can't get media sharing to work properly on the home network. I created a playlist with the vanilla slice photos in it on my PC, and I can see that playlist on my laptop, but I can't see the photos.

Stupid bloody Vista.

I like to download all my photos to my PC only - that way, they are all in one place, rather than scattered across the other PC and the two laptops that we have at home. The idea is that once they are in a central spot, we can access them anywhere in the house via the wireless network. However, Vista and all its insane security features appear to be conspiring against me. The PC came with a McAfee product, whilst the laptops have a Norton product. They both work in mysterious ways, and seem to have all sorts of issues in co-operating with the inbuilt firewall in Vista. The result is that we have reverted to a sneaker net, with the medium of exchange being a 1gb thumb drive. Hell, what's the use of having wireless this and flash new computers if the bloody things can't talk to each other?

The stand out product amongst all of this is iTunes, which makes sharing so easy, it's laughable. Why can't Windows media player do the same? I am currently stretched out on the couch with my leg up and the laptop in my lap, and I'm playing music off my PC using iTunes. The speakers in the laptop are not as bad as I thought they'd be, so it's a good setup. If I can stream music between rooms, why can't I get a photo from my PC to this laptop to my blog?

It will probably all come right after a couple of reboots.

The vanilla slice by the way was complete crap. I might have to try making my own.

No comments: