Friday 26 October 2007

Elf Lord

We had an NCIS moment at home recently. J was trying to print a document and it was refusing to print anything beyond page 3. We could see the document spooling, but not spooling properly.

For the dilberts amongst us, I solved the problem by reconfiguring the switch port to 100mb/full duplex and then did the same on the printers network card. After that, the document printed in about 10 seconds.

J asked me what I did afterwards, and I refused to answer on the grounds that it would make me look like an Elf Lord. I relented after a minute and went into probie-mode and gave her an answer that included TCP/IP stacks, port speeds and ethernet duplex modes, and that seemed to satisfy her.

I was waiting for a smack over the back of the head, but it never came.

No comments: