Friday 14 September 2007

A mixed week on the bike

This was lining up to be a good week in the saddle. I did three good rides which totalled about 135km, and was all set to do another of at least 50km when I started to come down with yet another cold. Last time this happened, I risked it and went for a ride. That totally wrecked me, and I was in bed for a week. This time, I hung up the bright bike shirts and settled down to rest and see the cold through.

I'm philosophical about it all, but I was looking forward to a week of 200km+. Yes, it's draining, and I fall asleep on the couch at 4pm, and my legs feel like they have been run over by a steam roller, but it still feels good.

The saving grace is that the rides I have been doing are very flat, and I haven't been pushing it too hard. There is nary a hill of any note between here and Homebush, and the ride down to the airport (or Botany Bay) follows a canal, and canals are reknowned for being built on very flat land.

I suppose it's like riding across Holland.

I am in no hurry to go and tackle hills. I know I am supposed to, since it builds strength and fitness, but why beat the hell out of yourself when you don't really need to? It's not like I am training for the Tour de France.

It's a good thing I didn't go out today. We had a very nasty little squall come through - torrential rain and howling winds for about 10 minutes - and it was enough to bring down a power line near us. The Fire Brigade got called out as a line came down and landed on a parked car. The Police blocked the street off and the fire guys did their thing.



In the end, I think it was a Foxtel cable rather than a power cable - but I wouldn't be stupid enough to grab it to see which one it was.

No comments: