Monday 6 August 2007

What a difference a postcode makes

When I was out west last week, I had the misfortune to ride into a pack of slothfully perambulating bogans. I didn't actually hit any of them - I just came up behind them on a combined bike/foot path and asked them politely to get out of the way.

I asked once, twice, three times and then really started to raise my voice. The stupid buggers were wandering around in a daze with not a care in the world. They seemed shocked to actually see someone on a bicycle on a bike path - I presume everyone out that way hankers after a car with a fat exhaust and a pumping sound system and some pimped up wheels. Bikes are for dilletants from the east.

Like me.

The thing is this - they were school kids. Or should I say, skool kids. I have never seen such a slovenly bunch of no hopers. Their haircuts were amazing - mullets with the sides of the head completely shaved and that kind of thing. I just took one look at all of them and thought "unemployment queue for you boyo". Except that in this full employment economy, they'll get a job somewhere with some desperate employer who will take anyone.

I wonder how they will fare though when things turn down. I expect they will be the first on the scrap heap, and they won't know why. They'll just find themselves at home one day, drinking beer out of longnecks at 10am and watching the WRX being repossessed and wondering why?

I don't have to wonder why. I just read the latest edition of my old school magazine. It was a bit of an eye opener looking at the photos - the kids looked so clean cut, I expected most of them to be putting down "Duntroon" as their place of residence next year. There was nary a hair touching an ear to be seen - lots of short back and sides in evidence.

And they're all wearing jackets and ties and looking comfortable in them. The bogans that I ran into looked uncomfortable in shoes. I guess that's one major difference between us and the rock apes.

No comments: