Tuesday 10 July 2007

Spare us any more cloned concerts

Live Earth (or whatever it was called) - another music festival brought to you by McDonalds.

Well, maybe not McDonalds, but it had all the hallmarks of McDonalds.

A bland, safe, boring product that was nicely packaged and served up in a mild and inoffensive manner. The same boring pap reproduced seamlessly all around the world. Take your pick - a cheeseburger or a Live Earth concert.

Personally, I don't mind having McDonalds every now and then - like when I have a hangover - but I really prefer a custom made burger from a caravan parked near an isolated surf beach somewhere. A burger that is whipped up on the spot, and drips sufficiently to leave grease spots all over your clothes. They take longer to produce, no two are ever the same, they generally cost more - but boy, are they ever so satisfying. A good burger can live in your memory for years.

How long does the memory of a McDonalds cheeseburger last? 10 seconds? Maybe longer if you get reflux and burp for the next 200km of your road trip?

If I want to be bored to death, I'll go to the next mass-produced "event". But somehow I doubt it.

No comments: