Saturday 7 July 2007

GPS

My bank has this wonderful points rewards system that comes with the credit cards that they offer.

I have managed to put so much through my credit card over the last few years, I have enough points to buy a GPS. The bank was offering two models - a TomTom and something else.

I emailed Mr Gadgethead (Chris), but got no response, so I went and ordered the TomTom. It should turn up next week. It cost me about 3/4 of my points, but what the hell.

I'm not sure if we need a GPS or not though. J seems to be quite happy navigating across Sydney to some place she has never been by using the map book. I am not so confident - I always seem to miss a turn or get lost. Once I have been somewhere once, I am not too bad, but the first time is always a nightmare.

Hence the GPS. I figure we will only need it once a month or so, but if it saves me from the frustration of missing a turn in the middle of nowhere, it will be worth it.

What I really want to use it for is entering the coordinates of wineries and other interesting places that we visit on our road trips. We go to a winery at say Griffith, and when we go back a year later, we have all sorts of problems trying to find it again. The tourist maps are always crap, so the best thing will be to capture the coordinates when we visit, and we'll be right next time around.

The other thing that I really want it for is long road trips - like when we visit Melbourne. I hate the Melbourne map books, and I find the place a bastard to get around at times, so the GPS could be really handy down there. Given that I had to use the points or lose them, the GPS was the least bad option.

No comments: