Saturday 16 June 2007

Poop

I missed a nifty photo opportunity this morning. As I was getting ready to go to the markets, I spied my camera on my desk and decided not to take it. What's the point? There's not really mich of interest out there to photograph.

Ah, but there was on the trip there.

I drive around a corner, and lying right across the street is a big old gum tree. It was a good sized tree - it blocked a two lane road from side to side, and I reckon that I probably wouldn't have been able to wrap my arms around it near the base. It had come down in the storm last night.

There were two guys there in fluro jackets directing traffic around the tree (we were able to drive into a carpark to detour around it), so it was pretty safe.

Except for the wingnut behind me. Picture this. It's been bucketing down all night. The streets are wet. There are deep puddles here and there - deep enough for some cars to detour round (but I just plowed through them and was rewarded with water going over the top of the Disco). It's windy. The streets are slippery.

And right behind me I have a wingnut in a Falcon, tailgating me, talking on her mobile phone and trying like hell to overtake on a double white line. She came zooming up behind me, so she was also well over the speed limit.

Justice was not served though. Because she was tailgating so closely, she couldn't see around me, so she had no idea that there was this dirty great big tree across the road just in front of us. I slowed down and indicated to turn into the car park, and she got even closer, and then pulled out to overtake.

I reckon she must have crapped herself when she suddenly found herself overtaking into a tree.

Unfortunately, it was a late model Falcon and must have had ABS, as she managed to stop.

Bugger.

We get through the carpark and back onto the road and she just plants it and flys past me. The last I saw of her was the Falcon running a light that was quite red.

By the time I came back an hour later, the tree had been chainsawed into nice fireplace sized chunks.

I wonder if that Falcon is wedged under the back of a semi-trailer by now?

No comments: