Tuesday 5 June 2007

Good podcasts

I have never been big on listening to podcasts, mainly because I never seem to have the time to lug around an ipod. I refuse to wear one whilst riding - you need all your senses fully switched on in order to avoid becoming a grease spot under some grease monkeys spoiler. I don't catch public transport to work. I don't sit around doing stuff all.

I do however like to download and listen to the podcasts from Fly With Me. I don't know why, but this guy really hooks me.

I really think he can tell a good story. He's under no pressure to publish, so he only puts one out when he has something good to say.

I wish the ABC would adopt this ethos. They should cut back to broadcasting 8 to 12 hours a day, and just put up a test pattern the rest of the time. Think of how much better it would be if they weren't desperately casting around for content filler for our 24x7 world.

I did pay a visit to a car stereo shop today to enquire about getting an ipod adaptor fitted. A good adaptor - one that is NOT an FM transmitter, costs around $330. It will also charge the ipod, so you can drive all the way to Brisbane without it going flat, and if you have a reasonably modern stereo, you can control the ipod through the stereo.

My stereo, alas, is so 1999. The only option is to replace it with something a little more 2007.

My, my, how the price of car stereos has fallen since I last bought one (in about 1984). Either that, or I have about 100 times more income now than I did in 1984. I can get a mid-range Alpine stereo, with an ipod adaptor, for $450. That seems awfully cheap to me. Fitting it will cost another $90. The adaptor is threaded through to the glovebox, so you just plug the ipod in, close the glovebox and only take it out again when you want to take it inside to upload some more songs... or podcasts.

I now only have one thing to decide - what day to get it installed.

I just hope I then don't discover that my speakers are complete crap.

No comments: