Saturday 5 May 2007

Vista the slug

The new PC has been taken out of the box and setup. Have a 20 inch widescreen is very nice, but I am already thinking that 22 inches might have been better.

Only a few problems so far.

I can't connect to my NetGear storage device, which is a network attached storage thingy. That's a pain, as it holds all my photos, movies, music and documents. I wonder how long it is going to take NetGear to come out with a fix for that?

I have also been trying (in vain) to download a PDF reader from Adobe. Stupid IE7 keeps coming up with "errors on page". I think the next thing that I download will be Firefox. I have played with IE for about an hour now, and I don't think I will be wanting to use it tomorrow.

Apart from that, Vista seems pretty smoothe. I haven't loaded and played with any serious apps yet, so I can't say whether this new PC and OS are any good or not. One thing though - this monitor is seriously bright - almost blinding. If I could access the network device, I'd play a movie and see how it looks.

The interweb thingy has become ridiculously slow though. Pages that normally load quite rapidly seem to take forever. It could be IE, it could be the network cable I am using, or it could be all the stupid security settings that this thing seems to be dragging around with it.

One thing worth mentioning though - gadgets. Mac heads will probably go "so what, had them for years", but I am impressed. Now if I can only find some useful ones, like a surf report and a proper weather report for cycling...

No comments: