Friday 4 May 2007

Ideal weight

I was watching some kind of health show last week and they had a segment where they measured people up and then worked out their ideal sport, based on their height and body type (ectomorph, mesomorph etc).

The ideal cyclist is 182cm tall and weighs 72 kilos (or thereabouts - it is a week since I saw the show).

I am only an inch or two below the ideal, but I am still 33% over the ideal weight (at least I was when I jumped on the scales a month ago).

Problem is, even if I get my body fat down to 5%, I will still be over the idea weight. My chest and shoulders are just too big for a good cyclist. It's interesting that it was cancer that made Lance so good as a cyclist. Before cancer, he had been doing triathlons, so he had the shoulders and arms of a swimmer, and all that muscle just slowed him down on the bike. He lost all that muscle when he had cancer, and when he rebuilt his body as a cyclist, he was much smaller.

No, I have no desire to get brain cancer. And bugger it, I am not giving up dessert either. I will just have to get used to dragging around an extra two cases of beer.

No comments: