Thursday 3 May 2007

Death rides a bicycle

Sobering reading.

It's nice to know that not many 40 year old males get killed on bikes each year. It is mainly kids doing stupid things without helmets, although there are a good number of cyclists that get hit from behind because the driver didn't see them.

Hence my "canary" outfit. I'm not going to give any driver an excuse not to see me.

Quite a few cyclists also get cleaned up because they are not obeying the road rules - ie, zooming along the wrong side of the road (I see that a lot) or blasting through red lights and stop signs (I see too much of that) and presumably ducking and weaving through traffic (something I avoid like the plague).

Patience, reflective clothing and a helmet are three simple things that can go a long way to saving ones life.

No comments: