Friday 27 April 2007

Those overbearing Google-heads

Not long after I signed up for blogger (which hosts this blog), it was bought out by google.

All was quiet for a while, but I guess there was furious activity in the background which we bloggers never saw.

Then one day came the edict - "You must have a gmail account to sign into your blog".

Now that didn't hurt much, as I already had a gmail account. I guess the idea was partly to get some more gmail subscribers, but moreso to try and create a single google universe - a googleverse, where everything is driven by a Google account. Once you are sucked into the googleverse, there is no escape.

Frankly, I am offended by the thought of a googleverse. I know that they don't want to be evil (like the arch-enemy in Redmond), but they will end up being evil if they keep going down this path. They might not want to be evil - they might want to be benevolent - but I don't need Big Brother - or Big Google - controlling my universe. There may soon come a day when Google really oversteps the mark and finds that its market share goes down the toilet.

Google - the tyranny of good intentions.

No comments: