Thursday 12 April 2007

Slug fest

I don't know what it is about the new place, but it is over run by slugs. At first I thought they were coming from this drain by the back door, so I tipped in half a packet of slug pellets and waited for the corpses to pile up.

No such luck. The little blighters kept on coming. There are big ones and little ones and in between ones, and no matter how many I squish each night, there are another half dozen there the night after.

I am trying another tack tonight - I have laid an impenetrable line of salt across the lintel of the back door, so we'll see if any try to get in that way. I think they are sneaking in under the back door, but J is not so sure. She thinks they are coming up through the cracks between the walls and the floor, which is why I am looking at one in the office as I type this.

I think they are coming in the back door as we have a rug inside the door and it is now criss crossed with slug trails. If you look at it in the right light, you can see a plethora of silvery trails all over it - you could drop a 20 cent coin onto the rug and it would land on a slug trail - there are that many of them.

I trod on one the other night - in bare feet. I didn't mind stepping on it, but I hated the fact that it stuck to my big toe and would not shake off. It's an awful feeling, especially if it's a big slug, which it was. I can put up with lots of things, but standing on slugs is not one that I am particularly keen on experiencing again.

Ugh.

No comments: