Saturday 14 April 2007

Slinky socks

I wouldn't normally write about socks, but I got two pairs of cycling socks for my birthday.

Cycling socks you ask? What makes them different to normal socks?

Well, two things mainly. They are very thin, and very expensive. I own about 8 pairs of white "tennis" socks, and altogether, they cost less than one pair of these Pearl Izumo flasho things.

I gave them a go this week, and quickly discovered that you have to pull them on exactly straight over your foot - the toe box has to be precisely aligned across your toes. They can't be twisted to one side or the other. I've never had socks like that before, but it's because they are quite stiff as well.

The reason I wanted them is that my feet swell up in my cycling shoes after about 20km and I lose all feeling in my little toes as the blood flow is restricted. Having thinner, slippery socks might prevent that from happening, as the foot will be able to move around a bit more.

I have not really been able to put this to the test yet, as I don't have a good, long ride on the cards. When you ride to and from work each day, and clock up 140 - 150 km in a week, the last thing you want to do on the weekend is go out and ride some more.

No comments: