Thursday 1 March 2007

The fit, the fat, and what the fuck?

Cycling is supposed to be a healthy activity. It is supposed to make you fit and trim and brown, and if you're really good at it, you might even look sexy in lycra. (I think that last statement applies to about 0.001% of the cycling population).

I see all sorts of cyclists on the way to the office - every shape you can imagine. When I started, I had this impression that cyclists all looked like bike couriers - lean, wiry, tanned and with a big streak of greasy mud splashed up the middle of their back. Instead, I keep seeing these blobalysts everywhere that I look.

Now if there is one thing that every cyclist should have, it's a pair of toned legs. Above the waistline might be a disaster area, but the legs should be catwalk material. They should be a pair of lycra covered rocks, with funny bulges here and there.

Instead, my morning is spent zooming up behind these people that have calves like rice pudding and thighs like a shopping bag full of chicken fat. What is going on here? Has KFC introduced a special drive-thru lane for bikes?

No comments: