Sunday 18 February 2007

How did the Japs ever get to Pearl Harbour?

If there is one thing we are really missing around here, it is a really good Japanese restaurant. I'm not talking about a hole in the wall with a counter selling pre-made sushi, or a sushi-train type setup - I am talking about a place where you sit at the counter and a chef with big knives does silly things in front of you and throws food at the customers. Where the sake is warm and the Sapporo is cold and the bill is probably hideous.

We have two take away hole-in-the-walls within a 5 minute drive, but there is no restaurant within about a half hour drive. The nearest would be Crows Nest or Cremorne. I now know that, because I had take away from the Five Dock Jap, and had a look at an industry magazine whilst I was there which listed every Jap restaurant in Sydney, and the pickings in the west are pretty slim. Put it this way - I think out here in Drummoyne, we are the frontier of Japanese food. Beyond this line, the only asian takeaway is Chinese. I think we are on the limits of civilisation - what used to be known as the Marches, beyond which lived Picts and so forth.

The local Jap place had three guys behind the counter doing various things - arguing, sharpening knives and fiddling with their hair nets. I placed my order, then went for a wander up and down the street so as to kill the 10 minute wait. It was a pretty simple order - a chicken bento box, some agedashi tofu, vegetable tempura and a vegetarian roll.

I get home, and find that we have a sushi bento box instead of chicken, some tofu (as ordered), vegetable tempura and seafood tempura (not requested) and a vegetarian roll (which they got right). Not that I am complaining too much, as they charged me for what I ordered, but they gave me about 50% more food value-wise. How the Japs got organised enough to get to PNG is beyond me. Well, I guess they did forget to bring food and organise logistics so that heaps of them starved to death on the Kokoda Track, so it's no surprise that they can't get a simple bento box order right.

No comments: