Saturday 24 February 2007

Dick is a knob

One thing that has puzzled me this past year is how Davd Hicks/Mohammed Dawood has managed to fund his legal campaign. I doubt his Dad has deep pockets, and somehow I don't think even the shonkiest of lawyers would take a cheque from the Al-Queda Criminal Defence Fund. Plus I doubt the sharks that are representing him here in Aus would be doing it out of the kindness of their hearts. It can't be that cheap, flying to Cuba every now and then. Plus, I wonder if they charge for every TV interview they do, and every protest rally that they turn up to.

Unless they think that a book deal is in the offing if he gets out, meaning he might have a bit of cash to pay them with.

Then it transpires that Dick Smith is chucking in $60,000. I've never been a big fan of Dick, but now I think he is a complete knob. I suppose he isn't the first person to chuck in some loot - it's just that he is a shameless self-promoter, and couldn't resist getting a headline.

Interesting to note that he came out shortly after and said that his company had recieved a lot of mail from people saying that they weren't happy, and wouldn't be buying his food anymore. I added to that tally today. I doubt these meatballs would give two hoots if Dawood had actually been locked up in Cuba by the Cubans for terrorist activities. They're only making a fuss because they Yanks have nabbed them. The gutless wonders are simply hiding their anti-Americanism behind Dawood.

I like the Yanks, but I don't love them. I'm not an American, and I don't want to be one. In some ways, they repel me, but on balance, I like them. I certainly like the US more than just about every other country on the planet. If I had to choose between say Libya and the US, I'd side with the Yanks. Trouble with some people is that they are so reflexly anti-American that they'd side with North Korea to cock a snook at them.

I blame TV. If the yanks had any sense, they'd nuke Hollywood and wind the clock back to the 1950's. Make movies like North by Northwest and nothing else. Use actors that look like Jimmy Stewart. It would be hard to hate them then.

Then we could hate other countries that produce rubbish movies, like the French.

No comments: