Friday 15 December 2006

The thousand dollar pizza

Why did I get so crook?

Because of Pizza Hut.

Because we were going away for a week, we decided to clean out the fridge by eating everything perishable and not restocking. By Monday night, we were out of food, so we decided on home delivery - two Pizza Hut pizzas. They cost $11.90.

I had half a pizza. Two hours later, I was flat on my back feeling quite horrible. An hour later, I was driving the porcelain bus. An hour after that, I was wee-ing out of my bum and wanting to vomit again.

We were supposed to fly at 10am on Tuesday, with a 7.30am taxi pickup. At 7am, I knew I could never survive 2.5 hours faffing around getting to the airport and then getting on a plane, followed by a 5 hour flight and then an hour messing around at the other end collecting a hire car and getting to the nearest bed. I doubted my guts would even hold together long enough for the drive to the airport. I could think of nothing worse than needing to stop a taxi in the cross city tunnel so that I could have a chuck. Taxi was cancelled, tickets were a write-off. No travel insurance.

Because we booked with those nice people from Virgin, we were screwed on the tickets. You can only change them up to 24 hours before your flight, so there went $820 worth of one way tickets. To change the return tickets is $40 a pop, and then we might have to pay extra if an equivalent price seat is not available on the flight we want. So that takes it to $940.

Then add in all the pills I have popped this week - half a box of Nurofen for the excrutiating headaches, the bum stopping pills that prevent the runs, the anti-nausea pills that stop me wanting to throw up and the rehydration thingys that I've been sucking on in order to keep the fluids up. The bill must surely top $1000 when you throw in the $11.90 for the pizza as well.

So I have gone from being a complete non-fan of Pizza Hut to quite detesting it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pizza Hut's fault? Can't have anything to do with the fact that Monkey got gastro, then I got it, then the soon-to-become-hairy-one got it then you got it. Pizza Hut must have delivered my portion of pizza from a different store, as it's the first thing I've eaten all week and feel much better. J xo