Saturday 30 December 2006

Iced coffee

I found out this week how to make a really bad iced coffee.

For months now, I have been making it at home with instant coffee and the results have not been that bad. Not great, but drinkable.

On the way back from the country last week, we visited some friends who are a long way from the nearest cafe, so they have an expensive, whizz-bang coffee maker in their kitchen, and they buy in deluxo beans from somewhere. I was in need of some coffee for the last push into town, so I thought I'd make an iced coffee using a short black from this superb coffee machine as the base.

Well that was a blunder. As it turned out, it made really bloody awful iced coffee, and it needs full fat milk, not the skim rubbish that they had in their fridge. For some reason, iced coffee has to be made with el-cheapo crapo instant coffee. It doesn't even need to be fancy instant coffee. Well ok, I have not tried making it with that really, really cheap muck that comes in a tin, but fancy beans are a waste of time when you are going to ice it.

Who would have thought that?

No comments: