Tuesday 11 July 2006

It snot good

Winter descended beautifully on us last week in the form of a thick fog that blanketed the Bay and muted all noise from the passing traffic. I was hoping to post some photos of the fog, so I packed my camera and set off a bit after dawn for the trip into work. I made it as far as the UTS Rowers and decided to take some photos when I discovered that the camera battery was flat. I could have done a U-turn and gone home for the spare, but I was not in the mood after that. Pity, as when I got to the ANZAC bridge, the middle of the bridge was wreathed in fog and the upper bits were poking out of the top of the fog. It was a smashing view.

And I don't have a photo to prove it. Note to self - always check battery charge before leaving house.

The ride was a bit of a struggle as I've got a mild case of the lurgy at the moment. The nice thing about the Lilyfield Rd hill is that by the time you get to the top, it should have cleaned all the muck from your nose and throat. It is not the Pyrennes, but it is just enough of a slope to scrape the windpipe clear of all goo. I was spitting up green chewing gum by the time I hit the top. Not snot - well, technically it was snot - but it had the consistency of dried chewing gum and it was an electric green colour. Yuk. Still, once I get it out of my lungs in the morning, I'm not troubled for the rest of the day by constantly regurgitated snot. I hear these people at work all day hacking and coughing and never managing to get it out. Cycling - nature's hanky.

No comments: