Saturday 29 July 2006

How boys clean the bathroom

I discovered a great method for cleaning the bathroom this morning. I popped into Bunnings to buy an el-cheapo Karcher unit for cleaning all the gunk off the bike, and then a thought flashed past - why not use it for rinsing off all the horrible cleaning bleaches and stuff?

Luckily, our house is small enough for the garden hose to make it from the tap at the back door to the bathroom. I don't know how people with a McMansion would fare. I guess they wouldn't care as they could afford to pay a maid to do the dirty work.

Unfortunately for me, as the bathroom has not had a proper clean in 3 months, the little$99 Karcher didn't make much of a dent in all the grime and mould and foot goo in the shower and bath tub. It was back to elbow grease and Jif and a scourer. It did however do a great job of rinsing off all the scum after I had spent 10 minutes on my knees scraping encrusted toe jam off the tiles. It was also great for blasting all the cobwebs from the upper corners of the bathroom.

After all that, I also had a go at cleaning the bike. It wasn't much use in the end - I forgot to buy de-greaser, which is what really needs to go on first. No amount of blasting with detergent and water will remove that caked on chain lube and road grit. The bike looks a lot cleaner, but the chain and cluster are still full of a paste made up of dirt and grease and I can hear the cogs wearing away with each revolution of the pedals. Back to Bunnings in the morning for a can of degreaser!

No comments: