Friday 2 June 2006

How low can yogo?

We had the most amazing thing for dessert the other night - home made Yogo. The last time I had a chocolate Yogo, I was about 14 years old. Well, maybe 34 - I am sure I bought one for old times sake once when passing through the dairy section of the supermarket. God, it was yuck.

For some reason, we went on a custard frenzy last week. It was home made custard every night of the week. Yes, that does start to become a bit boring after a while, so cocoa powder was added to make chocolate custard. I completely and utterly rooted it the first time I made it - I added the powder at the end, and it didn't melt into the custard. Instead, we had yellowish-brownish custard with gritty lumps of dried chocolate powder mixed through it.

I then handed over the chocolate custard making reins to the expert, and lo and behold, we had smoothe, velvety chocolate custard in our bowls.

The revelation was the next day after the leftovers had spent a night in the fridge. The custard had set with a nice thick skin and I couldn't resist dipping in for a bit around lunchtime. Once cold, it tasted and felt just like Yogo, except it tasted about 100 times better.

Once again, I am flabbergasted at how a food company can take a simple ancient foodstuff like chocolate custard and make it completely inedible. All we used was packet custard, sugar, milk and cocoa powder - it wasn't even real custard made with eggs and that sort of thing.

Hell, I would like the meet the marketing person that thought up the idea of putting small amounts of cheap chocolate custard into tubs and selling it for a 1000% markup. If I had been CEO of that company, I would have laughed the idiot out the door. Shows how much I understand about marketing and retailing and how much shit the average 10 year old will eat if given free rein.

Yogo? Oh no!

No comments: