Saturday 27 May 2006

Has Rage turned to shit?

Since booze filled Friday nights are now a thing of the past, it has been a while since I have seen a bit of late night Rage. All that I get is the soft-core version from around 8am to 11am on Saturday morning. I can hear it playing on the TV in the room behind me. It's been on for 2 hours so far, and there is not one thing that I could be bothered to turn around and look at.

It's turned into fucking Video Hits. Or Dildo Shits. Music for 9 year old girls. I thought the ABC charter was about being different, not being a "me-too" with commercial 2Day-FM type soft cock pap. I doubt Henry Rollins will be appearing.

If I could work out how to program the video recorder, I'd get it to tape from say 3am to 6am to see if the late night version is watchable, but I can't, so I am stuck with the teeny-bopper version. This is the prime driver behind me going out and buying a digital recorder. All I want to do is timeslip Rage. I want to watch the late night version without being so pissed that I pass out on the couch with a half eaten kebab in my lap.

On the other hand, was that why Rage seemed so good? If you've crawled in the door at 2am with a hot dog or a McDonalds meal or a kebab and you just want enough stimulation to keep you awake while you eat and try to drink 2 litres of water before sleep, then Rage was the thing. But is it any good sober? Is Rage like cigarettes? Only enjoyable after about the 6th beer? Is the late night version something that has to be earned through excessive drinking, and it should not be consumed over breakfast?

Time slipping it might spoil something special. It would be like drinking port before a meal, rather than after. Port is great with cheese, and it is a lovely thing to drink after you've been drinking red wine all night, but it would be a travesty to drink it with say canapes. It's just not the done thing.

ie, it would be a fake experience. It would be like going to a wave pool for a surf, or to one of those indoor ski things. Yes, you might get to slide downhill on fake snow, but that is only 10% of the experience. Why bother?

Yes, I think I will dump the digital recorder idea and just stay up late tonight and get drunk.

1 comment:

cv writing service said...

While reading this post, all I can imagine is a messy room with lots of cans and pizza boxes or fries wrap scattered on floor, the uneven sofa cushions and wine bottles on a dirty table.